Ralston Mitchell is a licensed minister and professional Systems Engineer. Ralston is married to Kina Mitchell and they are the proud parents of two daughters Kiana and Alana; and one son Ralston Kellen.
Ralston Mitchell is a graduate of Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, North Carolina; University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia and Capital Bible Seminary and Graduate School at Lancaster Bible College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering, a Master of Science degree in Systems Engineering and a Master of Arts degree in Biblical Studies.
Ralston Mitchell has been a member of First Baptist Church in Manassas since 2000. After mentoring with Pastor Keith A. Savage for a period of two years, Ralston Mitchell delivered his initial sermon and was licensed on July 2, 2006 at First Baptist Church in Manassas, Virginia.
Min. Mitchell first served as the Health and Sports Minister at First Baptist and assists with the Youth ministry, in particular, the High School age kids. He has a passion for working with the youth and making sure that every child has a chance to succeed in life. In 2011, he accepted the call to become the Minister of Christian Education. He is responsible for running the Center for Biblical Studies. He also participates in the following ministries: Music as percussionist for the Voices of Hope choir and coordinates the church’s softball and basketball teams.
Min. Mitchell’s personal theology hangs on the declarations of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, “At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes (Matt 11:25).”
Pastoral Staff Position:
Christian Education Minister
When the family of God strives for excellence in its multi-faceted purpose and programs to bless and benefit adults, young adults, teenagers, youth, children, and all generational, economic and ethnic strata of society, then we truly display the truth of our call of “speaking the truth in love … [and] grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.” (Ephesians 4:15-16 NIV)
The purpose of Christian Education goes far beyond simple instruction, fellowship, and spiritual maturity. Author Sara Covin Juengst in her book, Equipping the Saints, notes, “The purpose of Christian education is not to fill people’s heads with biblical trivia. It is to tell the family story, that story we find in scripture, with such imagination and verve that lives are illuminated and changed. When the story is told in a way that engages people’s lives, community is formed, spiritual growth occurs, and the people are moved to work for social justice and change.”
With the assistance of a Christian Education ministry partnership, the Christian Education Minister’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Visioning for Biblical Knowledge and Practical Application.Establishing and maintaining congregational and community programs of teaching, discipleship, and fellowship that generate practical and Holy Spirit empowered works of service and individual and communal acts of biblical justice and righteousness.
• Program Development. Working with international, national, state, and local Christian affiliations supported by this church in Christian Education for meaningful participation in programs and events.
• Christian Education Ministry Committees. Establishing, as needed, ministry committees and directors to provide operational support.
• Christian Education Advocate. Advocating for an awareness of Christian Education opportunities and avenues for gaining and/or improving personal and communal knowledge of Scripture and its practical application. This is to be accomplished through various biblical studies courses, programs, events, in-house resources, and web-based tools.
• Liaison. Acting as a liaison with the greater ecumenical community regarding Christian Education related matters.