Reverend John Mitchell, Jr. (Youth Pastor)
Reverend John H Mitchell Jr is married to Deaconess Desirea Moore Mitchell and they have two beautiful Children Jacqueline and Chloe. Reverend Mitchell is a graduate of Hampton High in 1989, James Madison University in 1993 where he received a B.S. in Public Administration and a minor in Economics. He completed his graduate work at Capital Bible Seminary in Lanham MD were he earned a Masters of Biblical Exposition.
Reverend Mitchell was born again at an early age and was a consistent and active member of First Baptist Church of Hampton where he was called to the ministry and received his license to preach the Gospel in 1996. Reverend Mitchell was ordained at First Baptist Church Manassas in 2005 and has served in the Youth Ministry, Sunday school dept, Vacation Bible School , Children’s Church and Men’s ministry. Reverend Mitchell lives by the mantra “Called, committed and consecrated to the cause of Christ”
Pastoral Staff Position:
The Lord chose to allow humanity to enter into the world as babies who grow up through the joys, struggles, pains, trials and error of adolescence to adulthood. Spiritual maturity begins in our youth who are active and present parts of the church body/family. Jesus makes it clear that our children are special in his eyes. Jesus blessed them as a father would bless his child. If Jesus had such a high regard for all children/youth, we will not do any less.
Our Youth are to be nourished and encouraged in hearing, understanding, serving, praying and obeying the Lord. "Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.” (Psalm 71:17) Our Youth are the church of Tomorrow and key ingredient and present help in the church of Today.
With the assistance of a Youth ministry team, the Youth Pastor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Senior Pastor to survey and identify the needs of the church’s youth and to confirm God’s vision of Youth Ministry, while stimulating an interest and a commitment of church membership to the support and participation in Youth ministry.
- Program Development. Working with Christian affiliations supported by this church to develop and oversee a comprehensive and consistent youth ministry, within the church body and among the community to bring Youth to a ‘Lord and Savior’ relationship and discipleship with Jesus Christ. Developing and implementing programs that attract youth to Christ and promotes spiritual growth, aiming for spiritual edification in all Youth activities.
- Youth Ministry Committees. Establishing, as needed, ministry committees and directors to provide operational support when planning and coordinating special events (retreats, camps, mission projects and trips, etc.) that touch all youth at various levels of spiritual maturity, within the goals of evangelism, worship, fellowship, discipleship and mission.
- Youth Advocate. Advocating for an awareness of youth-related issues, improving the understanding of the importance of youth and their participation church-wide ministry.
- Liaison. Acting as a liaison with the greater ecumenical community regarding Youth matters. Developing healthy relationships with parents/guardians of all youth and providing resources to assist in their growth as Christian parents and to counsel as needed.